John Hardy M-1 Microphone Preamplifier - 2 channel
- $100 per day
- Pickup Available from Brooklyn
M-1 Microphone Preamplifier:
The M-1 Mic Preamp is among the finest mic preamps in the world. It provides the accuracy and transparency that is missing in other mic preamps. No matter what your application, the M-1 will provide superior sound quality. The world's best input transformer (Jensen JT-16-B), best op-amp (990 discrete op-amp) and the elimination of all capacitors from the signal path combine to provide the highest performance.
The M-1 has a 19" wide mainframe rack-mount chassis (1.75"H x 19"W x 8"D) and can be ordered with 1 to 4 channels. There are two meter options and the best Jensen output transformer (JT-11-BMQ) is also available as an option. Additional channels and options can be easily added later up to the total capacity of the mainframe.
The M-1 was introduced in 1987 and while sonically identical to the M-2 there are a few control differences. The M-1 has a two-section gain-pot providing continuously variable adjustment in two overlapping ranges that are selected by the "HIGH GAIN" switch. (The M-2 has a 16 position gain-switch with 1% metal-film resistors providing accurate and repeatable gain settings. Since the "HIGH GAIN" switch isn't necessary, the M-2 is available with either a "20 OHM MIC" switch OR a "20dB PAD" switch).
• JT-16-B Input Transformer. Jensen's best mic input model.
• 990 Discrete Op-Amp. Faster, quieter, more powerful and better sounding than typical monolithic op-amps.
• Elimination Of All Coupling Capacitors From The Signal Path. Results in less degradation of the audio signal.
• Dual Range Gain Control And 'High Gain' Switch. Provides great feel and resolution for easy and accurate adjustments.
• Polarity Reverse Switch.
• Phantom Power Switch.
• All Front Panel Switches Are LED Illuminated.
• Gold Plated XLR Connectors for maximum reliability.
• Ground Lift Switch On Each Channel. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
• Toroidal Power Transformer With Additional Shielding. Eliminates hum problems so no external power supply is needed.
• Universal Power Supply. Internal switch provides six primary voltage choices to accommodate use anywhere in the world.
• Chassis Ground Isolation Switch. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
• Built To Order, the way YOU want It. Various options can be easily field installed at a later date.
• VU-1 meter. Very accurate and informative 20 segment LED meter card with separate peak LED for monitoring preamp output.
• PK-1 Peak LED metering only (not required if VU-1 is installed).
• JT-11-BMQ Output Transformer. Jensen's best line output transformer.
• Pin 2 Or Pin 3 High. Can be ordered either way and internal jumpers make changes in the field easy.
M-1 Channel Detail
M-1 Back Panel Detail
E.I.N., 20Hz - 20kHz Unweighted 150 Ohm source -129 dBu
0 Ohm source -132 dBu
Maximum Input Level >30Hz +12 dBu
Maximum Output Level At 990 Output 75 Ohm load +24 dBu
CMRR 100Hz 100 dB
10kHz 80 dB
Deviation From Linear Phase 20Hz - 120kHz <2 deg
THD, JT-16-B, (Below Saturation) 20Hz 0.036 %
30Hz 0.022 %
50Hz 0.010 %
1kHz 0.003 %
THD, JT-16-B & 990:
60db Gain, 10k Ohm Load, +24dBu Output 10kHz 0.005 %
1kHz 0.004 %
40db Gain, 600 Ohm Load, +24dBu Output 10kHz 0.003 %
1kHz 0.003 %
40db Gain, 75 Ohm Load, +24dBu Output 10kHz 0.030 %
1kHz 0.005 %
Good as new